FICS Commands and Variables
FICS' command line interface is fairly confusing,
but below you'll find an outline of popular commands and
As well as on-line, help can also be got from the command line.
Use help COMMAND, or help v_VARIABLE
for info about specific commands and variables.
- finger PLAYER - Get info about a specific person
- resume Issue challenges to users with whom you have a stored or interupted game
- abort Request game abort, with result set to "no result"
- tell CHANNEL MESSAGE - Send a message to chat channel
- tell PLAYER MESSAGE - Send a message to a specific person
- . MESSAGE - Send a message to the same person
- say MESSAGE - Send a message to opponent
- shout MESSAGE - Shout message to everyone
- flag Call time if your opponent has run out of time, and autoflag is disabled
- =channel Show channels player is listening to
- +channel NUMBER - Listen to channel NUMBER
- -channel NUMBER - Stop listening to channel
- news Show FICS news
- observe ID - Load a game into the main board in examine mode
- smoves ID - Load moves from a previously played game into Scid
- =notify - Display the player names of whom you are automatically notified.
- +notify PLAYER - Add player to your notify list
- -notify PLAYER - Remove player to your notify list
- examine GAME/PLAYER - Load a game into the main board in examine mode
- play GAMENUMBER - Respond to a game request from another player
- match PLAYER - Issue game request to a specific person
- seek Seek a new game
- moretime NUMBER - Give you opponent NUMBER more seconds
- help TOPIC - Get help about some topic
To change settings use set VARIABLE VALUE. Often VALUE is a boolean 1 or 0.
- silence Turn off shouts, cshouts and channel tells while you play, examine or observe a game
- gin Notify when games begin or end
- autoflag Automatically flag opponent as losing when his time runs out
- noescape If noescape is set and opponent disconnects, he forfeits game immediately
- availinfo Show all available information
- 1 Footnote 1 to player's personal information
- 2 Footnote 2 to player's personal information ....
Bots are special FICS accounts that gather statistics, give lectures puzzles and more.
A nice page can be found at
- tell babaschess usageinfo Scid vs. PC (Show Scid vs. PC usage stats)
- tell relay games (List upcoming games)
- tell chlog show shout -t 20 (Show the last 20 minutes of shouts)
- tell Sibylle how do i add time to my opponent(Ask program Sibylle a question)
Popular channels are:
- 1 Server Help and Assistance
- 2 General discussions about FICS
- 4 Guests
- 49 Mamer tournament channel
- 50 The Chat channel
- f finger
- n next
- t tell
- o observe
Visit Freechess.org for info about